Thankfully the Blue Monday thing is a load of old guff, pseudo-science with no truth in it whatsoever, dreamed up by Sky Travel for an advertising campaign.
Phew. That’s a relief.
Having said that, the weather is pretty awful and the dark mornings and afternoons can easily get you down. Our garden is eight inches deep in snow today, we’re snowed in and it’s bloody freezing!
I you’re feeling particularly glum today you could soothe your furrowed brow by going on spending spree, bringing retail therapy into dramatic play. Or you could cheer yourself up by spending precisely nothing. Here are seven simple ways to lighten up your Monday morning.
7 FREE ways to beat the winter blues
- Once the snow melts, head outdoors. There are already lots of green shoots coming through, demonstrating that spring is already on the way
- Make yourself a luxurious hot chocolate, with extra choc and milk instead of water. Mmmmmm
- Wrap up warm and take a brisk walk at lunchtime. Exercise is a brilliant way to give yourself a boost and the chemical signals it releases in your rain make you feel much better
- Just being outdoors makes you feel better – exposure to daylight releases neurotransmitters in the brain that positively affect your mood
- Plan an exciting, fun event or trip for the weekend so there’s something to look forward to
- Meet with friends or spend time on Facebook – social interaction is proven to make us feel better
- Have a 20 minute snooze at lunchtime, another sure-fire way to help yourself feel brighter and sunnier when the weather’s disgusting
How do you make yourself feel cheery on nasty days? We’d love to hear your tips.